Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day

I had another post in mind for today but figured it could wait.  Today is the annual celebration of Fathers, in whose fraternity I proudly serve.  Athletes of both genders have traditionally had supportive fathers throughout their careers.  Fathers serve as coach, mentor, disciplinarian, and ultimately admirer.  This week I was watching the Phillies play the Twins and Jim Thome's father was in the stands watching proudly as his son hit two home runs.  Last month, Cubs pitcher Kerry Wood, retired after striking out his last batter.  As he left the mound and received a standing ovation from the Cubs faithful, his son ran out to give him a hug.  Father's have played a prominent role in many of today's athletes.  Some good, and some bad, but they are lessons nonetheless.

I am fortunate to have my father alive and doing very well.  He is 82 but very active.  He served as a good role model for me.  Like most good fathers, he instilled into me the virtues of being a good citizen, how to support your family, how to mentor your own children and how to treat a spouse.  I know I'm a better man by being his son.  My boys are in their early 20's. We are entering a new phase of support.  I hope that I've been able to pass on my father's lessons in a positive way.  I hope they have the tools to succeed as men and citizens and they will treat their spouses with respect and dignity.  Hopefully that day is a few years off.

My friend, Dan LaPerriere, has recently written a book entitled, "A Common Purpose, Using Your Homegrown Values to Improve Your Life and Business."  In his book, he calls upon the lessons his parents taught him growing up in a household of 12.  He recounts often the role his father played in the development of his family.  I know that Dan has learned well and does a great job relating these lessons in his book (http://www.a-common-purpose.com/). 

To all those who are fathers, Happy Father's Day.  To those who have fathers, reflect on the lessons learned and thank them for all they've done. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tim! Went to blogspot to check it out and this blog was featured. Damn boy, you're famous!
    Peter Lachance

    ReplyDelete