Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Doctor

He's not really a doctor, but his knowledge of all things practical and interesting qualify him as one in my book. Several years ago I was coaching a group of 7 & 8 year old baseball players that included both of my sons. As I was coaching third base one day-I struck up a conversation with a young man and we discussed what he would do if he got the ball. It turns out his Dad heard our conversation and a friendship was born.

The next couple of years, my friend David Kot, helped keep score and order in the dugout. No small task given the attention span of 9 and 10 year old boys. He comes across as low key but his mind is always moving-thinking ahead of the rest of us. He is a very successful leader in the banking industry. He has a penchant for finding simple solutions to complex problems and can appreciate the human element when making changes. His work ethic is incredible, apparently a gift from his father Leon.

There have been few in my life who are as generous and giving as The Doctor. I know I can count on him in any emergency along with his wife Mary. He is also something of a renaissance man. He is an expert in wines, hunts in Africa, has a gun and sword collection and makes it a point to research issues and activities his family and friends care about.

I have known The Doctor for nearly 13 years and have enjoyed every aspect of our friendship. I don't know how and why people come into your life. What I do know is that I'm a better man for knowing The Doctor. Happy Birthday and here's to many more years of friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment