Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Real Homer

I don't know why it struck me so hard yesterday when I heard the news that Chicago Cubs great, Ron Santo died. Maybe because I just heard him on the radio. Maybe because he suffered from diabetes. Maybe it was just the day.

For those who don't know Ron Santo, he was the Cubs 3rd baseman from 1960 to 1973, ending his career with the White Sox in 1974. He earned the National League Gold Glove award in five straight seasons and was a nine time All-Star. He batted .277 with 342 home runs and 1,331 runs batted in. He was the dominant 3rd baseman of his era and has not made it into the Hall of Fame. I remember watching him play on tv as a kid-he was a tough out and nothing got by him. My favorite memories are more recent as I've been able to listen to him and Pat Hughes broadcast Cubs game. He has been the color announcer since 1990. No one, I mean no one, roots harder for their team on air than Ron Santo. He sounded like me listening to a Phillies game. He got upset if they made a mistake and cheered unabashedly on air if they succeeded. If the Phillies weren't playing, I'd dial my XM radio to the Cubs just to listen to Ron Santo.

The story doesn't end here. He suffered from diabetes as a teen and played his entire career taking insulin. Ultimately, the disease cost him both legs below the knees. He also suffered from bladder cancer which took his life Thursday night. By all accounts, he never complained. When asked if he'd be returning to the radio in 2011 he responded, "What else am I going to do? Doing the Cubs games is like therapy for me."

Every organization needs a Ron Santo. Someone who will tell it like it is but is also your biggest cheerleader. They say he bled Cubs blue. Do you have someone bleeding your organization's colors? If not, find a way to create that loyalty and breed "Ron Santo's." Rest in peace Mr. Santo. Job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment